Saturday, July 07, 2007

Meet the Cats: 'Becca

When Wayne and I moved into this house in 1990, we were renting half the house (we bought it outright about 5 years ago.) We had been married for just two years at the time, and we decided to adopt a cat as our anniversary present to each other. Having given it a lot of thought, we elected to adopt an adult cat from the Putnam County, NY, Humane Society. They had so many adults to choose from, but I made a beeline for "Rebecca", a female Abyssinian mix who had had a broken leg. Her entire leg was still shaved, but she had that beautiful 'ticked' Abby fur. She was in washing-up mode when we arrived at the shelter, and, as soon as I put my hand up to her cage, she immediately started washing that, too. That was enough for me! And thus, we adopted 'Becca, the smartest, sweetest, and most beautiful little girl we ever had. She died several years ago, but remains first in our hearts, and we both still miss her very much.

No comments: