Thursday, December 13, 2007

Dear Congressman Hall

Dear Congressman Hall:

I'm writing to express my extreme disappointment in you and the rest of the Congress for the useless and unconstitutional vote on "H. Res. 847: Recognizing the importance of Christmas and the Christian faith." This is an extremely dangerous step over the line that our founding fathers drew between church and state, and towards the establishment of a national religion. I'm saddened that someone of your intelligence could pander to the imaginary "War on Christmas" rhetoric of the type that Bill O'Reilly spews (he is now taking credit for "winning" the "War on Christmas", thanks to this resolution.) I'm also saddened, and frightened, by this resolution's obvious effect of insulting the many other religions practiced by American citizens. Our government, according to the Constitution, has no business recognizing the "importance" of any religion. I urge you to reconsider this vote and call for the resolution's repeal. If not, then I sincerely hope that the Senate quickly disposes of this as being patently unconsitutional, which should have been obvious to you and to every other Representative who voted for it. Thank you for your consideration.

I would still like to wish you and your family a Merry Christmas, and I hope that we get to see you Friday night at the party in Pawling. If you're still in Washington right now, get ready for some snow, we got hit with about 8" of it today.

Sincerely,
Jane E. Schneider
Pawling, NY

No comments: